Friday, December 19, 2008

Proof of My Boredom

So I actually started this on Friday, 12/19, but I've been surprisingly busy for a gal on bed rest so it's not getting finished until now...

 I have officially given in and joined the blogging masses.  I have mixed emotions about blogging, but I figured I have nothing better to do right now, so why not?

I'm sure most of you are aware by now, but it has officially been one week since I was placed on bed rest.  Last Friday, I woke up anticipating a normal day and weekend.  I had lots of plans to finish Christmas shopping, finish the last of my Christmas decorations and clean up my house. But alas, it was not meant to be...

I have been having weekly sonograms since I have been considered "high risk" throughout my pregnancy.  Up until last week, it seemed like a meaningless label because every time I went to the doctor they told us everything looked perfect and absolutely normal.  We were feeling so good about things that we decided it would be fine for Brian to go to New Orleans for his best friend Noel's wedding.  I had also started planning on working through February in anticipation of my March 2 due date.  

So, Friday morning, Brian left for New Orleans, and I went to work.  At 2:00 pm I went in for my routine sonogram ALONE.  Brian has been wonderful throughout my pregnancy, and this was only the second appointment he has missed.  My mom was able to go to the only other appointment he missed back in November.  As soon as the tech started the sonogram, I knew something was wrong.  She quickly showed me that my cervix (which had previously been described as "normal" and "very well-behaved") was "funneling".  Basically, the top was starting to open leaving the bottom, closed portion very short and weakened.  These are considered hallmark signs of impending preterm labor. 

I was whisked over to my doctor's office thinking that he would tell me to go home and take it easy for the weekend.  He's quite laid back and typically takes a very conservative approach to treatment.  Imagine my surprise when he told me that I needed to walk over and admit myself to the hospital!  

After a little bargaining, I was allowed to drive myself home to pack a bag (honestly, it was more to check on my cats).  My sister and her 3 week old baby came to pick me up and drive me to the hospital in rush-hour traffic.  Her husband met her in the parking lot for a baby transfer while I checked in. Meanwhile, Brian was trying to make it back to Dallas.  After horrendous traffic in New Orleans, missing two afternoon flights and a twice-delayed evening flight, Brian made it to my room just before midnight.  My mom and grandmother had driven up from College Station soon after I called, and they relieved my sister from "Allison watching" and stayed with me until Brian arrived.  

I was in the hospital for 3 nights and about 74 hours (but who's counting!).  During that time I was given a series of steroid injections to speed development of the baby's lungs "just in case".  I also underwent monitoring for contractions twice a day.  The good news was that I was not having any contractions so they let me go home with strict instructions to stay on bed rest. 

So, I've been at home under the watchful eye of the prison warden (my mom) and her guards (my grandmother and Brian) all week.  So far, I'm still somewhat sane and the baby is still cooking so we're in good shape!

More to come on the joys of bed rest...

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Be sure to read your blog to Poggi as he will be quite amused he has managed to rock your world signigicantly. That's what children are all about.
Hope your not planning on your next warden to lighten up. See you soon.

Dawn said...

I was so hoping a blog would be a result of your increased computer time! The Schultes send their love :)

Anonymous said...

Sorry you're on bedrest! Take it easy...I know that's hard for you!

Jen and Marion (and Michael!)