Friday, September 18, 2009

Ouchies! (Alternately Titled: Somebody should probably call CPS)

We've had a rough week here in McFarlandville, and poor Reid's face tells the tale...

On Monday night, I was carrying Reid through our bedroom and I slipped on a blanket on our hardwood floor. My feet flew out from under me, and I frantically tried to hold Reid up so he wouldn't hit his head on the floor. Instead, I managed to bring him down on the corner of his pack and play. His little cheek turned purple almost immediately. It doesn't show up so well in pictures, but it was ugly.

Reid seemed fine on Tuesday, but we were already worried about what his daycare would think about his face on Thursday. Then, Tuesday night, the unthinkable...Baxter scratched Reid! (Disclaimers: Yes, it sucks that the cat scratched the baby. In his defense, he was surprised and scared. We are working to prevent the cat and baby from being in similar situations in the future. The cats have been very sweet and patient with Reid excluding this incident. There are NO plans to get rid of the cat(s). Thank you for your concern.)

By the time we took Reid to daycare on Thursday morning he looked like he had been through a war zone. Brian and I alternated between calling him "Bruiser" and "Rocky". His daycare providers were extremely understanding though. They let us pick him up, and no phone calls were made to CPS (to my knowledge).



This shows the scratch, but the bruise does not show up so well. (Disclaimer 2: in this picture the scratch had started to look slightly infected. The wound had already been thoroughly cleaned, but out of an abundance of caution, I cleaned it again, smeared it with antibiotic ointment and put a bandaid on it for 24 hours. I had to prevent Reid from getting cat scratch fever. Did you even know there was such a thing?)


This shows the healing bruise, as of today. Oh, and the scratch treatment worked. Look how much better his forehead looks!


I also let him eat paper this week. I really am a terrible mother. Apparently, he shares my love of Pottery Barn.



Bottom line: isn't that the sweetest face you've ever seen? It absolutely breaks my heart when he gets hurt in any way. However, he is a crazy, busy, active little boy, and I fear this is only the beginning...

2 comments:

The Everharts said...

You're not a horrible mother. He's just a boy. LOVE the soccer outfit! Too cute!

Cara said...

Bad boy Baxter! Don't worry, Ainslee's had her fair share of injuries too...like the time she dove off the exam table and landed on her head AT the Dr's office- glad the nurse got to watch me in all my maternal greatness :) (ps- I purposely didn't blog about that!) haha!