Tuesday, April 13, 2010

Update Vomit

So, it's been quite awhile since I blogged. We have lots going on. Lots of things have changed. I don't have the energy to do multiple posts at the moment so here is my stream-of-consciousness update vomit:

  • I am 19 weeks pregnant. With a girl. We are thrilled, and this is the first girl in the McFarland family in 85 years!
  • The last 2-3 months I literally feel like I crawled in a hole and lived in a state of semi-consciousness. I was exhausted, stricken with migraines and tension headaches, and sick with one illness after another. I had two sinus infections, bronchitis, laryngitis and pharyngitis. And no, not at the same time. This loveliness continued on for weeks, and weeks, and weeks. As soon as I would start to feel better, I'd get slammed with some new and delightful viral illness. Ultimately, all of the coughing (plus pregnancy-related reflux) led to painful growth/ulcer thingy on my vocal cord called a granuloma. Ironically, I treat patients who have these all the time but couldn't prevent it from happening to me. Awesome. All this in addition to "morning" sickness. And raising a feisty, energetic one year old.
  • We are selling our house to some wonderful buyers. They are a middle-aged couple from Denver who are moving to the area to be closer to their fabulous son, daughter-in-law and grandson. That's right, folks! Brian's parents are moving here, and buying our house from us. We close at the end of April (hopefully!)
  • We are buying a house about 8 minutes from our current house. For those familiar with the area, it is in Allen but still Plano ISD. It is bigger and does NOT have a pool. This makes us very happy...especially since Mimi and Grandpa will be living in a house with a pool :-) The house has plenty of room for guests so plan your next vacation for Allen, Texas and stay at the Hotel McFarland!
  • I traveled alone to Maryland at the end of March for my wonderful friend Barbara's baby shower. I got to catch up with all my awesome grad school friends while Brian and his dad took care of Reid at home.
  • Brian's dad has been living with us part-time. His new contracting position started before they sold their house in Colorado. Since mid-February, he has been staying part-time in Fort Worth and part-time in his future house. Some may think it would be weird to have your father-in-law living with you, however, I am here to tell you that it has been tremendously helpful in this season of our lives! He has watched Reid on the weekends while we house-hunted, slept, and packed boxes. He has also been a tremendous help as an extra set of adult-sized hands in our house lately.
  • My parents came up to Plano and stayed with Reid for a long weekend, while Brian and I spent 4 nights in Southern California. We had a wonderful time, and it was just what the doctor ordered. I have finally turned the corner and feel much better (most of the time!)
  • Our house is semi-packed (i.e., we're living in a state of confusion and chaos). We move in 10 days. My mom is the packing Nazi. Last weekend she came up and oversaw what Brian and I are referring to as "the carnage". Basically, if it wasn't nailed down, she tried to pack it (even though we still had about 3 weeks left in our house!) In all seriousness, there are no words for how thankful I am for my mother's help and organization. I cannot imagine having to go through this move without her help.
  • Reid is great! He is growing like a weed and walking/running all over the place. His personality is bigger than ever, and he has started expressing himself more verbally. He is currently obsessed with playing with trucks and cars and throwing balls. Honestly, he's into throwing everything. In fact, the other day, he threw a wooden block at my head. Hard. It hurt, and I was not amused. Reid, on the other hand, was quite proud of himself and laughed maniacally.
  • Through all this insanity, I have continued to work part-time. Retirement is in sight, though. May 27 will be my last day of work before I enter into early retirement/full-time motherhood. This was a tough choice for us, but the closer it gets, the more I know it is the right choice. ...for now, anyway. We will probably revisit this issue in a year or two.
  • My dad is retiring in December, and my parents will most likely be moving to the area! That's right...BOTH sets of grandparents nearby! We are thrilled and know how blessed we are that our parents are choosing to live near us.
  • Brian's been working hard, traveling frequently for work and picking up the slack around here since I've been basically worthless lately. He takes Reid on jogs with him (in the stroller), and they spend a good chunk of every evening wrestling/yelling/doing "man stuff" that Mommy couldn't possibly understand.
That's all my addled brain can come up with for now. I promise to post pictures of my adorable son soon.

1 comment:

Whitney said...

Good to know you're feeling better!