Saturday, May 22, 2010

Reid's 1st Birthday (3 months later...)

Here is my VERY belated post on Reid's first birthday party. Go ahead and judge.

February 20, 2010:

I'm normally not overly sentimental, but the night before Reid's first birthday, I sat in our room holding the little knit soccer hat he wore the day he was born and crying over how small it was. I could not believe how big our baby was getting. The last year has been filled with such joy, excitement and learning, and we are so proud of our precious son.


Reid: one day old


Reid: One year old

Reid's party was train-themed. He loves to play in boxes, so Daddy constructed a train out of cardboard as the centerpiece of our fancy party. I decided to make Reid's birthday cake, and it may be the last kids cake I ever make. Good heavens, what a stressful mess!

When time for the party arrived, wouldn't you know that Reid "I'm-Not-A-Great-Napper" McFarland was sound asleep in his crib as guest after guest arrived. Brian and I finally woke up him over an hour into the party. He loved seeing all his guests and playing in his cardboard train. He enjoyed his cake and actually didn't make too big of a mess while eating it. It was a great day, and we are so thankful for all of our family and friends that came out to celebrate our sweet boy.






Reid's friends partying without him while he naps.


Reid playing in the train with Daddy.


Playing in the train with Auntie Sarah.


Reid's friends Rylin, Avery and Carson


Singing Happy Birthday!


Reid just woke up and is trying to figure out why all these people are in his house.


Very excited about the balloons before the party started.


Eating yummy cake.





The finished masterpiece (sort of...at least it didn't collapse before the party started)





And one last funny picture. The train engine being held up by a tequila bottle the night before Reid's party. This pretty much sums up the cake-baking experience.




3 comments:

Barbara Ann said...

Between you and Jennifer I am going to have to start planning now what kind of birthday cake to construct for Nate's first birthday! I don't know if I can live up to your cake artistry skills.

The Sloan Family said...

wow - sorry I look so grumpy in that picture, haha

The McFarland Family said...

Barbara,

I have one word for you:
BAKERY!

It's just not worth it. I'm a horrible mom for saying that ;-) Miss you, and can't wait to see more pictures of Mr. Nate! Call anytime.