Thursday, February 12, 2009

It wasn't meant to be...

We went in for the procedure this morning, and everything went well.  The doctor felt like he was able to make several good attempts at turning Baby Boy McFarland.  But alas, we still have a breech baby.  The doctor feels that this is almost certainly because of the issue with the size and shape of my uterus. There's just not enough room at the bottom of my uterus for him to sit head down. There were no complications, and BBM handled the whole thing like a champ--no deceleratons in heart rate whatsoever.  

I handled it pretty well too.  I had to have a medication called terbutaline to relax the muscles of the uterus which has the lovely side effect of making your heart race and making you feel like you're going to jump out of your skin.  I had been told that this procedure could be extremely painful, and, well....   I will say it was 3-4 minutes of extreme discomfort, but definitely manageable. I would never discourage anyone from having it done based solely on the pain level. They told me I'd be sore tomorrow, and I can already feel that setting in.  

So our plan remains a scheduled c-section on February 20 (next Friday, scary!) unless I go into labor on my own before then.  If that is the case, once they're sure I'm in labor they would go ahead with a c-section at that time.  So one week is the longest we will go without holding our precious little boy.  It's a thrilling and terrifying thought.  Brian and I keep saying, this is our last week/last weekend/last time to ____, but it's so hard to fathom that our lives are about to change forever.  We are SO excited and SO creeped out :)


1 comment:

Brooke said...

That is SO exciting!!!!!!!!!! I can't wait to meet him!