Thursday, February 26, 2009

On The Day You Were Born

My Precious Reid William,

One week ago tonight, Daddy and I sat at our favorite neighborhood restaurant, Covino's, with BeBe, Grandad, Mimi, Grandpa, Uncle Toby, Aunt Sarah and Cason.  We were celebrating because we knew that the next morning we would welcome you into this world.  We ate lots of good food then returned home knowing we had a very early morning ahead of us.  We finished packing our bags and getting the house ready.  We wanted everything to be perfect when you came home!  

Daddy and I snuggled into bed that night very nervous and excited.  Daddy was surprised that he was not as nervous as he expected to be.  Mommy surprised herself with being more nervous than she thought she would be!  Your brothers, Baxter and Bristow, both slept in our bed that night.  Daddy and I tried to explain to them that their lives would never be the same (but that we loved them very much).   

On the morning of Friday, February 20, 2009, our alarm went off at 4:00 a.m.  Daddy and I quickly took showers, and Daddy ate breakfast in the kitchen where I couldn't see him since I couldn't have any food but was starving.  I fixed my hair and put on make-up because I wanted to look good for your big day.  We left the house just after 5:00 a.m. after telling the kitties good-bye.  The car was loaded down with your car seat and diaper bag, our suitcases, video camera, regular camera and a LOT of pillows for Mommy to have in her hospital bed.  

We arrived at Presbyterian Hospital of Dallas at 5:30 a.m. and checked into Labor and Delivery.  They showed us back to our room and things started to feel more "real" to me and Daddy.  I got dressed in my hospital gown and then Elizabeth, our doula and photographer, arrived.  She took LOTS of pictures of Daddy and I before you were born, while you were born and after you were born.  We know that we will always cherish these pictures. 

Things started to move quickly at this point.  Mommy was hooked up to all kinds of wires and machines.  As we got close to 7:00 a.m., Daddy and Elizabeth had to leave while Mommy got her epidural.  They went and sat in the waiting room with BeBe and Grandad and Mimi and Grandpa arrived soon after.  Daddy got to come and hang out with Mommy for a minute before they took her to the operating room and then he kissed her good-bye at the door. 

Once Mommy got all set up in the operating room, Daddy got to come back and sit right by my head.  The next thing Daddy remembers is Dr. Fogwell asking if he wanted to see you being pulled out.  Daddy was very brave and stood up and watched.  The first thing he saw was your little bottom which came out first because you were breech. (You were peeing when they pulled you out of my tummy!)  You gave two little squeaks to let us know you had arrived at 7:56 a.m., but other than that you were very peaceful.  Dr. Fogwell told me to look to my left and I got my first glimpse of you!  You looked perfect and had so much hair.  The doctor thought you might be a red head but it turned out to be a head full of blonde hair.  

The nurses carried you over to the warming table and got you cleaned up and weighed.  They announced that you weighed 7 pounds 9 ounces.  Daddy and I were surprised because we actually thought you might be a little bigger.  We were thrilled with how perfect you were, and everyone commented on how alert and active you were.  The nurses swaddled you and handed you off to Daddy.  Daddy brought you over to see me, and I got to kiss your sweet little head for the first time.  We spent our first quality time as a family right there with mommy getting "fixed up" on the operating table.  

The next thing I knew, I looked at the big clock on the OR wall and realized that it was already 8:45 and no one had gone out to announce your arrival to your grandparents and Aunt Sarah.  I knew they were probably getting worried, but I wasn't ready for Daddy to leave us yet.  We asked Elizabeth to go to the waiting room and just announce that you had been born and that we were both okay.  You see, Daddy and I had kept your name a secret ever since we decided on it the night we found out we were having a little boy. Daddy didn't think I could keep a secret that long, but I did! Daddy was so excited to go the waiting room and announce your name so we didn't want the surprise to be ruined.  

Everyone was relieved to hear we were okay but anxious for the big announcement and to see you.  Soon we were wheeled into the recovery room.  They unwrapped all your swaddling blankets and snuggled you up right on my chest.  I was elated to hold you for the first time and I kissed your little head over and over.  I was still amazed at how much fluffy hair you had.  Mommy and Daddy enjoyed more quality time with you--just holding you and looking at how perfect you were.  You were so content and just laid on my chest wide-eyed and alert looking right at me and Daddy.
  

Finally, around 10:00 a.m., Daddy tore himself away from you and went to the waiting room where he announced that you had been born.  Everyone was excited to hear your name.  We chose the name Reid mainly because we liked it.  We also liked that it is a traditional Irish/Scottish name which goes well with our last name.  Your middle name, William, is in honor of your great grandfather, William Ernest Brown.  He is Grandad's father who passed away when Grandad was a teenager  Since Mommy never got to meet him we thought it would be special to carry on his name.  


Once Daddy made his big announcement we got to have visitors in the recovery room.  First, BeBe and Grandad came in to meet you.  They were surprised that you were so tiny and that your eyes were wide open.  Grandad thought it was very special that your middle name was William.  Mimi and Grandpa were next to visit and they were so proud of you--their very first grandchild.  Aunt Sarah came in next and Daddy came back with her.  We had a good laugh because she had jokingly been calling you Willy McFarland.  

Eventually, we were moved from the recovery room up to our hospital room.  You rode in the bed with Mommy while Daddy walked next to us.  We rode the elevator up to the fifth floor and they pulled my bed up to the window outside the admissions nursery.  They took you into the nursery, and we stayed and watched for a few minutes while they took you to your little bassinet.  Daddy and the grandparents stayed and watched while they measured you, gave you a bath and got you all checked out.

Eventually, you came to the room to be with Mommy.  (We couldn't wait to have you back with us, and you stayed in our room with us the entire rest of our 4 days and nights!) Your hair was even fluffier after your bath.  The rest of the day was filled with taking you in and seeing visitors.  Uncle Toby came from work during lunch to see you.  Sally and Eric stopped by in the afternoon to meet you.  All of your grandparents spent the afternoon with us.  We had a special cookie cake that said Happy Birthday Reid!  

After all our visitors had left, Daddy and I got ready for bed.  I drifted off to sleep and remember waking up to see Daddy rocking you in the chair in the corner of the room.  He was instantly so in love with you!  You were a little fussy that first night, but you seemed to calm down when you were snuggled skin-to-skin with Mommy.  We eventually feel asleep this way--you tucked in next to me, cradled in my arm.  I didn't sleep long because of all of the nurses checking on both of us during the night. 

I just laid there staring at you, amazed.  I kept telling Daddy that I could not believe that YOU were who had been inside of me for all those months.  You were the little blinking dot on the ultrasound that gave us so much hope early in our pregnancy.  At our 11 week ultrasound, you were the tiny, but perfectly formed, baby that we dubbed our "jumping bean".  You were the one that kicked and squirmed inside of me for all of those months.  You were the precious little baby that I read nursery rhymes to while I was pregnant.  You were the head that bulged under my ribs--the one that Daddy would rest his head on and whisper to.  And as I laid there staring at you, you were so awake.  You stared at me, and I wondered what you thought about me and Daddy and being in this world.  

You are almost one week old, and we love you so much.  We cannot wait to see what life has in store for us.  We're so lucky that God blessed us with you!

Love, 
Mommy

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Such a sweet letter! Congratulations on your new bundle of Joy!

Elizabeth Boyce said...

**Sob, sniff, sniff** That was beautiful. He will cherish that forever.